THE COW VOICE




It was a raining night, cold and frightening. I could feel the taste of Mother Earth on my tongue, and yes, this pain, this excruciating pain. Have I been hit by a truck? Or did “Sango” (god of thunder) decide to strike me? I held on to my lower abdomen, feeling as though my womb was about to explode. I really don't know; something's wrong. I'm screaming, but I can't hear my own voice, and no tears either.

Earlier, I was sleeping, having one of those weird dreams with no image, just total darkness. It was a long day, and nights are always longer. We waited like we always do, as long as we could, but she always waits longer; she has no choice. Well, I'm done waiting. This 15-year-old body needs rest; everything is set. There shouldn't be any drama, so I thought.

Hours passed, maybe not. Something shattered the front door—heavy, scared feet ran silently but with haste. I heard cow's voice. Are these Fulani boys back again? I stepped out, only to get hit. Oh! The pain was mind-blowing. Who am I kidding? Body-blowing. I went back to my crawling days; I crawled, and this body can't run. Into the rain, I crawled, wondering why? How? Was it because I didn't keep a vigil? “The cow voice” followed, kicked the hot lantern I had with me. Oh, don't tell me he wants to strike one more time; this will kill me.

Then she screamed, "Kill her, and the whole world will know!" I thought, killing me, and telling the whole world is just some messed up martyr stuff, for Christ's sake! I won’t be here when the world knows.  Please spare me, and the world knows nothing.

The next morning, cow voice sobered up and asked just one question: what happened last night? I looked at her, hoping to see a little ray of light. No, what I saw was just pure dark resignation. Then I knew I had to get out of here before this shithole before it sinks me.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WEEK 14. FIVE THINGS WE LEARNT THIS PAST WEEK ON THE EPL.

The English Premier League. Week #10. Five things we learnt this past week.

WHAT NEXT?